Memory usage

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Wed Jul 3 16:43:07 EDT 2013

On 07/03/2013 11:28 PM, J. Landman Gay wrote:
> On 7/3/13 1:49 PM, Dar Scott wrote:
>>

>>> I'd like to know that too, especially for school lab computers. I'd
>>> also like to know how I should calculate the minimum requirements.
>>
>> Perhaps school districts have guidelines for memory requirements of
>> purchased software as well as upgrade/retire memory requirements for
>> computers in place.  That is, your contacts might be able to steer
>> you to district policy that helps.
>>
>> My guess is that most computers in schools were purchased 4 years ago
>> (with 20-year bonds) and have memory for OS+Word or OS+Photoshop.
>> So, maybe 2G?  This is just a very wild guess.

I run 4-5 year old computers (HP Compaq) with 1 GB RAM each and Linux,
and find that
I can comfortably run OS + GIMP + LibreOffice + Thunderbird + Firefox.

Interestingly enough, I tried one of them with Windows XP and Photoshop
CS 2 (Free)
and managed Firefox as well.

So, I'm not sure about the above.