Memory usage

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Wed Jul 3 16:28:34 EDT 2013

On 7/3/13 1:49 PM, Dar Scott wrote:

>> I'd like to know that too, especially for school lab computers. I'd
>> also like to know how I should calculate the minimum requirements.
>
> Perhaps school districts have guidelines for memory requirements of
> purchased software as well as upgrade/retire memory requirements for
> computers in place.  That is, your contacts might be able to steer
> you to district policy that helps.
>
> My guess is that most computers in schools were purchased 4 years ago
> (with 20-year bonds) and have memory for OS+Word or OS+Photoshop.
> So, maybe 2G?  This is just a very wild guess.

I can ask them, they might know what the general setup is. Suppose there
is only 2G of RAM. There will be lots os disk swapping, right? But
nothing will actually blow up?

We can say they need to run on a machine with more RAM, but we probably
shouldn't crash and burn. Any idea if 4G RAM would be okay for a setup
like I describe? I really have no clue about this stuff.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com