[OT] How to apply for jobs

Jeff Reynolds jeff at siphonophore.com
Sun Jan 20 00:18:18 EST 2013

Bob,

I've pretty much stopped trying to help associates write job descriptions for tech jobs. For some reason friends and associates refer people to me when they are writing these and want some review. They send me things like what you mention and I ask what the job is and It can be as mundane as maintain a simple HTML website and keep our pcs running. Or worse they list the qualifications for an advanced programmer, graphic designer, and writer for a web master job. I will try to explain they should focus the quals and give a clean job description, but they don't want to as they want someone really qualified. They won't listen when I tell them they won't find someone with great graphics, writing and programming skills unless they look a long time and are willing to pay six figures. They will not listen. I end up asking them why they called me in the first place if they don't want to listen. Then the phone calls later whining that they can't find anyone. I now just say I don't think I can help when someone calls about this sort of thing.

Oh did I mention they list salaries of $35-45k for these quals that would require 6+ years of school and 10+ years of experience. When I tell them that someone with this large of a skill set will most likely be older and experienced and be expecting a salary at least twice this, they always reply they really want some one really young and hot out of school that is willing to work cheap and take orders. Again blank stare when I point out they asked for 5+ years experience and a list of quals and certs that would put someone at least in their mid 30s, a decade out of school and someone that would definitely have their own mind and would not enjoy being ordered around.. They just don't get it so I just give up before I scream.

I do think there is a lot of folks writing these that have no idea of the job or the qualifications are. Then it's copy and paste ad nausieum as mentioned.

Depressing.

Jeff