[OT] How to apply for jobs

Potts Jeff jpottsx1 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 21:41:12 EST 2013

When I was looking for a job back in the mid 90's I was at an interview
where they wanted 2 years java experience. THe problem was Java was just
getting out of beta and due to be released in a couple of months. I was
stupefied. . . it was like my C++ experience wasn't good enough. I would
have had to have been on the Java development team to have the experience
they were looking for let alone understand that Java is just a dummies
version of C++.

I learned from then on that HR people are asses, just as career managers
are. The irony was that I was living in Toronto at the time and was at a
career/job/recruiting fair some weeks later and the American companies were
all like you played around with Java and have C++, we'll train you and
you're hired. I went to the USA to work and found that HR, job requirements
and experience are regarded much differently from country to country. In
Canada they want you to have already done the job before they give it to
you. In the USA they will train and work to make you a valuable employee.
In Canada training costs money and therefor they shy away from any type of
training promises or requirements.

The story is different when you have worked in the USA and return to Canada
though. They are all over you thinking you have attained some sort of mojo
or magic. I spent 8 years working abroad and don't regret it at all. I look
for international opportunities whenever possible.

Don't get me wrong, not all job openings and opportunities are like what I
experienced. My only recommendation is remember that outlandish job
requirements means people will have to forge experience just to get in for
a an interview. This behaviour ust makes it worse for everyone, not to
mention false information can kill your career if you get caught.