More about audio-video

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Thu Jan 17 21:38:16 EST 2013

Thanks for all the responses. The audio/video files will be prepared by
my client and served over the internet to customers. We have control
over the format, the names, whatever is needed.

The catch is that the people who will be viewing the media can be on any
computer, often one they don't own (i.e., student labs, coffeeshops,
their neighbors, etc.) and we can't require any software installation.
The app itself will almost always be on a thumb drive.

No software installs means the media can't require QT, any special
codecs, etc. Whatever is the lowest common denominator is what we have
to use. For Macs I can depend on QT but for Windows users I can't.

If the decompressor or codec can be shipped with the app then that may
be something we could do. But I always thought codecs were installed
into the OS, and we can't do that.

I'm pretty sure my client, who is an audiophile, wouldn't be happy with
MPEG-1. So I'm open to suggestions.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com