Strange contents of long name

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Jan 16 13:35:06 EST 2013

Peter Haworth wrote:
 > Richard - Thanks for the pointer to the bug report, I will add a note
 > too.  The whole "backwards compatibility" thing is a sorry excuse, at
 > most of the time.  RunRev make changes all the time that cause things
 > to behave differently.

Actually, it's pretty rare that they change the behavior of tokens that
have been in the language for a long time.  Can you name three examples?
  I might be able to, but I can't think of that many offhand.   The only
one that comes to mind was the change to the way messages pass through
shared groups, but there - as with this one - the change was so
unquestionably beneficial that it was worth updating my apps to accommodate.

Given the level of angst I hear from Python users ("Should I use v2 or
v3?"), it seems RunRev does a better job than most in maintaining
backward compatibility.

 > I guess I'm left with no choice but to chase up the owner hierarchy,
 > at least if I detect that the control name is empty.

You are indeed behind in your emails - Mark Waddingham has already put
this into the queue to be fixed:

<http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/use-livecode/2013-January/181860.html>

Of course that won't affect users of older versions, so your tool may be
the only case where we have code in the community dependent on the old
behavior. ;)

Prepare to fork, for the benefit of all future users.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World