Shoutout to Colin

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Jan 3 13:29:59 EST 2013

Robert Sneidar wrote:

 > There ought to be some kind of clause in copyrights where if a
 > producer who is not the author or developer of something sits
 > on it and does not produce a product from it within a certain
 > time frame, say 5 years, the author has the right to reproduce
 > it themselves.

While I can appreciate the sentiment, I have to say I would disagree
with this in practice.

The most important element of intellectual property is the international
respect for the act of creation, the recognition that the creator of a
work has complete say over how it's distributed from the very moment of
creation through a period of at least several decades afterward.

This is essential to maintain the motivation for creation.  After all,
if there's no motivation to create, there's nothing to argue about
distribution over, since the work would never have existed to begin with.

For this reason I would tread with great caution into any area of
copyright law which might in any way inhibit the rights of creators.

Any creator can choose any terms they like for anything they create, no
matter how unreasonable they may seem.  If I write a trivial software
product and demand $500,000 for it, that's fully my right - and yours to
ignore and just go build your own.

And if I write a novel and choose to cease publication after a certain
number of years, or to never publish it at all, that's also my right.
And you still always retain the right to write your own novel as an
alternative to my seeming unreasonableness.

The remedy for what we might see as abuses is up to us as consumers.  If
a company like Adobe puts out great products like GoLive and LiveMotion,
and later abandons them and locks them away, we've come to learn what
sort of company they are and can make different choices going forward.

No matter what else we might consider, the rights of a creator are
paramount, since without them we risk having no creations at all.

Forgive me if I sound pedantic this morning, but I've been reading some
arguments in the FOSS world and there's just a bit too much "gimme gimme
gimme!" going on in some circles for my temperament, too much emphasis
on what some users feel they should be able to demand from creators but
not enough about reciprocal considerations.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World