Calling all teachers and parents

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 01:36:26 EST 2013

Hi Peter,

Really like what you are doing with your 1001 page and hope you exceed that
number, but even at it's present level you need to think about a more
sophisticated level of presentation.

>On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 11:34 AM, Peter W A Wood <peterwawood at gmail.com>
wrote:
>Other youngsters would be likely to relate better to examples from their
peers.

Couldn't agree more; and that doesn't apply just to youngsters, pro coders
need to see what pro coders are doing, otherwise if they come and see your
top chronological entries are from a bunch of kids, they may very quickly
(and wrongly) assume that LC is a toy language for students.

You probably don't have the time to do anything else now, and the blog
format is so simple and quick to do, but when you do have the time you
might consider the following:

I'd break your page up into at least 3 sub-pages - Advanced, Intermediate,
Beginner (maybe Commercial, Hobbyist, Education - others on this List will
probably have even better suggestions)

>From there I'd look at some kind of single level Tag or Filtering system
based on purpose - Finance, Game, Medical,... Utility (basically similar to
the iApp category list).

And whilst the iron is hot, maybe even a second level of Tag/Filtering
covering basic statistics about the size of the project, how long it took
and current status. i.e. 6 main stacks, 38 sub stacks, 49 cards, 1,340,765
lines of code, 7 years, On Going; 1 main stack, 0 sub stacks, 1 card, 53
lines of code, < 30 min, Finished. ( I personally feel that his kind of
info might really open the eyes to how quick a solution can be developed in
LC)

I'm sure others will have even better ideas on how to differentiate the
vast assortment of projects people of different skill levels are tackling
with LC, so that those that visit your page are not distracted but can
focus on those people/projects that really interest them.

Having said all that, I would include a 'Browse Eveything" page, just as
you already have - but with the Tags so skimming the list would be easier.

I can't help but think a page hosted on on-rev, written in LC could do it
all; and wouldn't it be nice to have "This page powered by LiveCode"
blazoned across it :-)