PPC ?

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 23:17:41 EST 2013

On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 7:10 AM, Jerry Jensen <jhj at jhj.com> wrote:
> My biggest problem is that its a nice warm place for mice to play - can't close the lid all the way or it sleeps.
> .Jerry

Is it a PB G3 or a PB G3 Series, only Apple would name their computers
so similar, but be different. The G3 Firewire, aka 'Pismo' was capable
of running with the lid closed (and possibly the model before that).
You might respond, I know, but it required connecting the PB to an
external monitor and you don't want to do that. But if my memory
servers me, the trick also worked with an external keyboard, and these
PBs were one of the first to have USB ports. You could do a simple
check with a USB keyboard and see if it stays awake, if so a cheap USB
keyboard might help prevent the mice from trying to ensure that every
Mac comes with a mouse.

As an alternative solution, there is a reed switch below the
microphone on the lid. there is also a magnet on the right palmrest.
When the reed switch detects a magnet nearby, it clasps together, thus
making the computer go to sleep. Simply remove the magnet, or unplug
or cut the wires to the reed switch and you'll be able to close the
lid without it going to sleep. This will obviously work with any PB,
MB or MBP if you know where the magnet and reed switch are.

Be aware that you might then suffer cooling problems!

HTH