LiveCode has a new eye on the earth

Iluvatar sysman at bigpond.com
Mon Feb 18 02:25:12 EST 2013

Folks, there have been a lot of impressive words said about the use of
LiveCode by NASA.

You need to be VERY sure about which part of the satellite/SCADA systems you
are referencing.

I see NOWHERE that NASA is using this code to control the in-built rocket
and navigation control systems of the satellite. These systems control the
pitch, yaw and orientation of the satellite as it orbits. These systems use
'burns' (or short bursts) of the rockets to provide 'micro' adjustments in
the orbit of the satellite to adjust for its falling trajectory - yes, in
time all geo-stationary satellites eventually fall back to earth (or burn up
in the atmosphere in the process).

So what is LiveCode doing? It appears to be syntax checking commands for the
mapping applications and maybe control of cameras - " imaging and
housekeeping activities".

How do I know? I was in charge of the OSS (Operational Support Systems)
which controlled the AUSSAT (later OPTUS D1 & D2) satellites in Australia.
These systems were built by Lockheed Aerospace and were BULLETPROOF!  NO
BUGS. NONE.

The were not coded by a script coder. They were written in Assembler and
cost $Millions like the satellites they controlled.

Horses for Courses !