What do you want to contribute?

Geoff Canyon gcanyon at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 01:10:19 EST 2013

I would be working to extend the natural language syntax in every way
possible through the new language capabilities. For twenty years now,
whenever someone says LC is verbose, we've responded with

sort lines of fld "demo" by item 3 of each
put word 3 of line 2 of x into line 14 of y

or something similar. Chunk syntax is awesome, but it's not the end. The
underlying principle is that whatever you can reasonably interpret from an
intuitive english expression will be more powerful than other syntaxes.
Some examples off the top of my head, english similarity level TBD:

swap the values of x and y
apply function trim to each line of x
apply function demo to x until the result stops changing
scan all the files in directory demoDirectory including subdirectories and
put the paths of the ones that contain the letter "z" into x

And finally, let's go crazy:

open a window if full screen mode
color it black
place 20 white pixels randomly on the screen, with no pixels closer to each
other than 15 pixels
create a new graphic of type player
use the image "player.png" for the player graphic
this is where the game starts
if the user tilts the device left or right, accelerate the player graphic
uniformly in the direction of the tilt, proportionate to the amount of
tilt, so that at maximum tilt it takes 120 ticks for the player graphic to
move across the whole window
If the user touches the screen, accelerate the player graphic uniformly
toward the user's touch
if the player graphic reaches the same horizontal location as the user's
finger, decelerate the player graphic uniformly to motionless in 10 ticks
once every 30 to 240 ticks, create a new graphic of type star
place the new star graphic randomly, but always 50 pixels from the top of
the window
use the image "star.png" for the new star graphic
accelerate the new star graphic uniformly toward the bottom of the screen
so that it takes 120 to 300 ticks to get to the bottom of the screen
if the new star graphic reaches the bottom of the screen, delete it
if the new star graphic collides with the player graphic, delete the new
star graphic and add 50 points to the player's score
sixty seconds after the player graphic is created, stop all motion, delete
all the star graphics
if the user touches the player graphic, set the player's score to 0 and
start the game

I know that's crazy.

gc