LiveCode has a new eye on the earth

Bernard Devlin bdrunrev at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 05:24:02 EST 2013

Critcising the aesthetics of programmes produced by RAD tools has often
been a way in which "professional programmers" have rubbished the useful
(yet unpolished) tools that literally ran many businesses.  The same thing
happened with Lotus Notes.  It was an environment that permitted thousands
of non-professional programmers (who had the essential knowledge of the
business processes) to produce and continuously refine the programmes they
needed to make money.

Out of the box, Lotus Notes managed to provide end-users with access to a
whole range of features that are even now incredibly hard to find in an IT
system.  From the mid 1980s it had it's own NoSQL database structure; the
databases could be encrypted; the databases could be replicated between
clients/servers (or just between servers); one could work offline, or only
with data on a server; there was field-level access control; it could be
programmed using the @formula language (really, a list-processing language
more like LISP than C) or a variant of VisualBasic.  An application could
be built in hours that would take a "professional programmer" months or
years to build (in order to provide even a subset of the infrastructure a
Notes network provided).

Even today, I can't think of a programming environment that offers
professional programmers the range of features that Notes provided to
non-programming end-users.  I worked in companies where out of sheer
frustration with the IT department taking years to deliver a needed
application, end-users found the online help in Notes, and taught
themselves how to use the IDE, and how to program it, and built their own
applications to solve their business needs.

Lotus Notes was basically destroyed by professional programmers bitching
about the applications looking ugly.  No doubt there are all sorts of
management issues with coding standards, security, maintainability, etc in
such an environment.  But if a business goes bankrupt because they are
missing years of money-making opportunities when building something in Java
or C# takes too long, then niceties like coding standards or the aesthetics
of an application are almost totally irrelevant.

I've seen case studies where Lotus Notes was viewed as in impediment to a
business, because it would cost too much to re-engineer those applications
that ran the business in order to make them buzzword-compliant (never mind
that the business may well have folded if staff had waited years for a
professional solution).  In a business environment the prime concern has to
be that the application serves the business, not that it conform to some
set of non-essential concerns, such as aesthetics.

Bernard