Trying to make economic sense of open sourcing livecode

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 1 15:19:58 EST 2013

Hi Pete et al,

Good free/open source software projects care about the code hygiene (what bits come from where and are the intellectual property rights respected) and have a contributor agreement which every contributor needs to sign before any of his submitted changes are included in the source tree. It's necessary to preserve the long-term health of the project, and doesn't seem to have stopped people from contributing to these projects in the past :-)

When I decided to open source Quartam PDF Library, one of the steps I took was to derive the Quartam Open Source Contributor Agreement <http://www.quartam.com/qosca.pdf> from from the Oracle Contributor Agreement <http://oss.oracle.com/oca.pdf> to clearly spell out the rules and rights. I can't and won't accept any code changes submitted by someone who hasn't signed the agreement.

I have no doubt that RunRev will posit a similar requirement once LiveCode goes open source.

Jan Schenkel.

=====
Quartam Reports & PDF Library for LiveCode
www.quartam.com

=====
"As we grow older, we grow both wiser and more foolish at the same time."  (La Rochefoucauld)