livecode on xubuntu 13.10

Martin Baxter mblivecode at harbourhosting.co.uk
Fri Dec 27 12:17:04 EST 2013

On 27/12/13 10:47, Peter Alcibiades wrote:
> Look, lets be scientific about it.  We know there are problems with
> Xubuntu. So the first thing to do is find out is it the window
> manager, is it ubuntu, is it LC.
>
> Short way:  try debian stable or slackware.  With xfce or fluxbox or
> whatever. Do we still have the problem?
>
> Why will people not take the simple and obvious course to narrow down
> the problem?

I'm inclining towards the military solution myself. :D

As I wrote previously, the original purpose of this exercise has been
reassigned to a different computer on which I should have more options
regarding the distro that I use.

As far as the problematic computer is concerned. I think that next I
will start over and try to install 32bit Xubuntu on it as per Richmond's
suggestion of a few days ago. I think the most likely cause of the
problem is missing bits in the 32bit support. If I am right, a 32bit
install should resolve it, hopefully with least hassle. I already know
that distro should run, and Xfce is okay for me. Even if it succeeds
however, I won't now be using it for anything very serious. I shall
report how it goes.

Resolving the issues in the current installation ought to be possible I
suppose, ( maybe given more of a clue than I have ;) ), but as far as I
can ascertain, installation of a general 32 bit compatibility layer in
that x64 Xubuntu distro is not really supported - I think the
expectation is that if a package requires it, the package manager will
install (only) the parts it needs. Of course Livecode isn't packaged.

As for other distros I already know that Debian stable live DVD doesn't
boot on that machine, and the nearest I've been to Slackware was playing
with Puppy for a bit a couple of years ago. Actually I just read the
installation help page for Slackware and came away with the strong
impression that I probably need to do a little research before I tackle
that one. Ho ho, (understatement).

Martin