WYSIWYG is Wonky!

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Tue Dec 17 01:13:56 EST 2013

On 12/16/13 2:30 PM, Marty Knapp wrote:

> One thing I don't understand is that on Windows if I print with
> formatForPrinting set to false, the fonts print very nicely and with
> (seemingly) no less resolution than when you set formatForPrinting to
> true. And they're TrueType fonts so I thought (obviously incorrectly)
> that screen fonts and printer fonts were a thing of the past. It sure
> seems like we ought to have WYSIWYG printing on Windows at this stage of
> the game.

As I understand it, the font file loads when the stack does. So if you
aren't closing and re-opening the stack then you aren't really using the
printer fonts and it would look the same as before.

If I need to print reports, I usually designate a separate stack that's
used only for printing and set its formatForPrinting to true during
development. It doesn't affect anything on Mac, and it's always set up
for printer fonts on Windows when it opens. If you don't have a printing
stack, you have to close and re-open the main stack and that's ugly.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com