Raspberry Pi

Monte Goulding monte at sweattechnologies.com
Fri Dec 13 16:24:43 EST 2013

On 14/12/2013, at 6:46 AM, Fraser Gordon <fraser.gordon at runrev.com> wrote:

> I'm glad to see the RPi build is being received so enthusiastically.
> It's a great wee device and LiveCode seems like such a great match for
> its goals. Nothing at all to do with the fact that I love tinkering ;)

Great stuff Fraser. I'm looking forward to having a play with it I get a chance over the holidays. It sounds like you're doing this in you're spare time so it's great to see that you've gone from a guy sitting at the back of the conference hall in May to get a handle on the platform to someone spending his free time playing with it ;-)

Anyway, seeing as you love tinkering I'm wondering if Kevin discussed with you my ideas for squeezing LC between Scratch and Python. It includes 3 things:
 - Looking at the Scratch 2 file format http://wiki.scratch.mit.edu/wiki/Scratch_File_Format_(2.0) it really wouldn't be that hard to implement a project importer to create a stackFile that's as close as possible to the original scratch project. We possibly need a bit better support for SVG but other than that...
 - Python externals using http://elmer.sourceforge.net making LiveCode the easiest to use Python GUI toolkit and a progression Scratch -> LiveCode -> Python or C/Java etc where necessary quite logical...
 - A book like this for LiveCode http://nostarch.com/scratch but perhaps pitched at a slightly older group

Combine these three things with an RPi build included in Raspbian and we will make some magic happen I think. Perhaps some community members want to tackle one or more of these things?

Ideally someone could open up the LC IDE and enter their scratch credentials and then see their projects available to download and import:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1sx3CbWgWzNmu81NZ6bfctut5XzrFnZwCmVGkmR-0ktY/edit?pli=1

Cheers

--
Monte Goulding