Up, Down and Sideways

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Fri Dec 13 00:32:46 EST 2013

On 13/12/13 01:57, Warren Samples wrote:
> On 12/12/2013 02:31 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>> And that's why we need an authoritative source.  I've never looked into
>> it deeply enough to find which component is handling the Alt keys.  But
>> if it's not Gnome, it may be something lower (though almost certainly
>> not the kernel), or something higher (possible Ubuntu's keybindings
>> interface, which I had thought were inherited from Gnome, but may be
>> part of what they get from Debian).
>

> These seem to be common shortcuts under Linux. I use them under KDE. I
> like alt+drag to resize in particular, and note that the only way I
> can grab and move the LiveCode tools palette is using alt. It may not
> be on by default in all distros. I can turn it on and off as well as
> change the modifier key. I have seen references in forum posts which
> indicated that at least some KDE users who had never used these
> shortcuts had to turn them on.
>
> When I change the modifier key for window resizing and moving to
> "Meta" (option), Richmond's script runs as expected. LiveCode works as
> stated, so long as the OS isn't hijacking the signal for its own
> purposes further up the hierarchy.
>
> Conflicts in creating shortcuts are always a possibility and require a
> little caution, and it's good to make people aware of the high
> probability that "alt+mouseX" will be unavailable to LiveCode under
> Linux, but I think it's not quite right to suggest it's broken.
>
> Warren

That's a good point, but the problem I have is that I am putting a
program together for use by Professors of Old Church Slavonic who have
computers running Mac, Win and Linux and know nothing at all about how
to muck about the mod. keys on their machines.

Therefore my standalone should "just work" when it ends up on some
Prof's machine, regardless of
what system s/he is running.  AND, the mod. keys used should be the same
ones regardless of OS as well.

Richmond.