Would anyone mind..

Mike Bonner bonnmike at gmail.com
Sun Sep 30 21:52:59 EDT 2012

Would anyone mind checking over a stack for me?  I've come to the
conclusion that I just don't have the energy for a real project (plus with
my design skills its pretty much out of my reach) but I do think there are
some  useful aspects to the thing as it sits right now.  Unfortunately my
other efforts to extend it have.. er.. How to put this politely.  Ok
they've sucked.

As it sits, the stack will track the mainstacks that are open, filtered
based on a list of filters in a field. (to eliminate untitled mainstacks
and rev stacks from the list) The list should auto update when changes are
made (thanks to pete, thanks pete!)
It also maintains a list of all stacks currently backed up. The backups are
stored in an array in a property of the stack.

What its good for:
Want to take a snapshot of a mainstack and all of its substacks that are in
memory? (They don't have to be saved, and even if they are, the version is
memory is what will be backed up) select from the list and click backup.
 The stacks are added to the array of backed up stacks, and the plugin
stack saves itself.

If you took a snapshot of a stack hierarchy and then manage to break the
stack you're working on, you can then recover the snapshot and look at the
code of the recovered copy along side the main working stack. If a stack is
with an identical name is already in memory the recovered stacks are named
"copy of thestackname" so there is no worry about the "that stack is
already in memory" message.

Want to revert to the snapshot? Just close the stacks you wish to dump,
then either rename the "copy of.." or close the misnamed stacks and then
recover them again. They'll pop back out with the correct name as long as a
stack name is not already in use. If the destroystack property is not set
for your stacks this means forcibly removing them from memory.

Thats about it.  Why am I blabbing all this here? Because someone (with a
better grasp of design and structure for this sort of thing, AKA not me)
could easily convert the method in to a cvs.  The sheer speed at which a
stack and its substacks can be grabbed this way is amazing, So, anyone and
everyone is welcome to look it over, incorporate any pieces and/or parts
into different projects, mangle it, whatever.

The current version of the stack can be found at
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/11957935/mdbRevisionPlugin.livecode The automagic
stack updates won't work unless the stack script is inserted into front.
The scripts are documented, and there is a test stack "saved" as a backup
in a property of the stack. the test stack has a field with another short
description of how things work.