DataGrids with no UI

Todd Geist todd at geistinteractive.com
Wed Sep 26 17:11:59 EDT 2012

Thanks but what I am looking for is not an Array. At least not just an Array.  And it is not a database, although it is probably bound to a database.

I am building a data binding library. I am sick to death of wiring up databases to LiveCode controls. Its all boiler plate BS and it needs to go away.  Andre's DataStore libraries inspired me to make an attempt at this based on his libraries.  The idea is that you simply "Bind" dataGrids to one of on Andres' "sources"  with a command like

BindGridToSource the long id of group id 1392, "contacts"

and your done.  You have 2 way binding from the Grid to the DB and back.  Changes made to the DB are reflected in any grids that happen to be bound to the same source.

THEN you can also bind a Group or a Card to the DataGrid  with a command like this

BindControlToGrid theLongIDofTheGroup, the LongIDoftheGrid

And you get the same thing. 2 way binding between the Control and the grid.  Select a record in the Grid, and the Bound card or group is updated to show the same record.  Edit the data in the Group and the changes are automatically synchronized to the the Grid the DB and other Controls that happen to be bound to the same source and record.

Once you tell the library "what is bound to what" the library handles the rest.  Of course there are ways to easily over ride the default behavior if it is not what you need or want.  But out of the box, you just design your ui and you get persistence ( Thanks to Andre's libraries).

This is working really well, But sometimes I don't want or need the DataGrid to be visible. I still need, searching, selected items, sorbability etc. I just don't need the UI.  The Grid holds my "FoundSet of sorted records" if you will, even when I don't care to see the list, i still need something that can serve in the same capacity.

Yes I understand how to go about trying to build something like this starting with an array, probably a local array a Behavior so I could easily re-use it. THE question is/ was….  is it worth creating something with No ui. IS there anything to gain over just hiding the damn data grid, when I don't want it visible.

Todd

On Sep 26, 2012, at 8:44 AM, Bob Sneidar <bobs at twft.com> wrote:

> Sometimes I need an array with only one dimension and one element. Oh wait! That's a variable! ;-)
>
> Bob
>

> On Sep 26, 2012, at 7:04 AM, Klaus on-rev wrote:
>
>> hmm, DataGrid - UI = Array
>>
>> So why not just use an array (global/local variable or even a custom property) to keep the data?
>> At least that's what I would do :-)
>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Todd
>>
>> Best