Skanky ways to play MP3 on Windows XP

Klaus on-rev klaus at major.on-rev.com
Fri Sep 14 07:49:35 EDT 2012

Hi Ben,

Am 14.09.2012 um 13:32 schrieb Ben Rubinstein <benr_mc at cogapp.com>:

> On 14/09/2012 11:24, Klaus on-rev wrote:
>
>> Am 14.09.2012 um 12:19 schrieb Ben Rubinstein <benr_mc at cogapp.com>:
>>> My other route is that although the player object isn't working on this machine, imported audioclips do play.  But the formats that I'm aware work with audioclips are non-compressed, and therefore we'd have to render the audio into formats which will take up a lot of space.  Hence my second question about any space-efficient formats that work with audioclips.
>>
>> the compressd AU format can be played as internal/imported Livecode sound!
>
> Klaus - aha, that's very helpful, thank you!
>
> Do you have any recommedations for software to use for conversion (especially batch conversion) and for encoding?

no, sorry, I always used QuickTime (Pro) manually for each sound.
You could use Trevors wonderful QuickTIme External and write a batch processing thing yourself in LC ;-)

> I'm using Audacity, which allows export with different headers and encodings - but you have to select combinations and then see if the "OK" button is enabled or disabled.  So far the only encodings that I can find that can be selected with AU as the header, that I think are compressed, are U-law, A-law, ADPCM. U-law and A-law produce files exactly half the size of the uncompressed files (but still four times the size of the mp3).  U-law plays OK through LiveCode (though noticeably softened compared to the uncompressed or the MP3), but A-law is horribly distorted.  With ADPCM, I can select this combination, but when I try to export Audacity says it can't be exported in this format.

Hm, my sounds (just some sound effects, no speech or music, so the compression was OK for my needs) were always in U-law format.
You may need to experiment a bit...

> So this definitely moves me a step forward - do you know of any other supported formats that offer either higher compression or better quality, that can be played as internal/imported LiveCode sounds?

No, only uncompressed WAV/AIFF files and the compressed AU format are supported with the "play" command on LC desktop.

It IS about time that RunRev changes its multimedia engine to a REAL crossplatform solution!
There may not be QuickTime for WIndows anytime soon in the future!

> Many thanks,
>
> Ben

Best

Klaus