[OT] Looking For OS X Troubleshooting Suggestions 22

Bob Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Thu Sep 13 17:24:52 EDT 2012

Hi Jim. I didn't mean to imply I knew more, as I can see that may be how my post looked. I say that to give people confidence in following my IT advice. Sorry if it sounded like I was being condescending.

That being said, the internal SATA interface is always going to be faster that an external USB or even a firewire interface.  Even an external eSata may be slower, because you are going through a translation interface, but it probably won't be noticeable, whereas a firewire or usb interface will probably be quite noticeable.

I have not used USB 3 yet, but my sense is that an internal PATA drive is always going to be the fastest, all other things being equal.

What I would do is create the clone, then put the cloned drive into the device. Use the newer drive as the production drive. At that point, you can reformat the old drive, using the Write Zero's option which is the only way for the Disk Utility to lock out bad blocks or sectors, and then if you want, you can use that as your CCC image backup.

It doesn't hurt to take advantage of iCloud or some other cloud based service either, or perhaps using a Time Machine backup. I use TM, but restores can be a little tricky, and they are not bootable. A CCC image is. In the event of a complete production drive failure, you can still boot into the spare drive and meet your deadlines.

Bob