LC Forum reading (was Re: OT: Adobe kills mobile Flash)

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Tue Sep 11 17:35:11 EDT 2012

On 9/11/12 4:03 PM, Warren Samples wrote:
> On 09/11/2012 12:45 PM, J. Landman Gay wrote:
>> I already do use the RSS feed. But if you want to participate, it's
>> pretty useless. You have to open a web browser, find the post, log in,
>> and reply.
>

> Really? Your news reader doesn't display the forum and allow you to
> post, or it won't properly open an external browser directly to the
> post? Neither your reader nor your browser will let you use the option
> to stay logged in between visits?

Yes, it will open a browser if I ask it to. That's an extra step which I
need to wait for. Then I have to wait for the forum servers. Then I have
to log in and deal with that horrible little text box with all the silly
html buttons and gadgets. I choose not to auto-register on my mobile
device, which is where I read the RSS. On my desktop machine I simply go
to the forums in a browser and deal with server lag in the usual way --
waiting for a page to load, going back to the list, waiting for the list
to load, going to another new post, waiting for that to load, etc. It
takes me a few minutes to read the lists, it takes me half an hour or
more to read the daily posts on the forums. Perhaps your internet
connection is faster or you have influence with the server.

My point is simply that there is an easy option available that isn't
enabled. It would save me a lot of time. I could participate with the
same ease as I do in this mailing list.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com