Morality, Honesty and Legality

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Sep 11 12:39:48 EDT 2012

Bob Sneidar wrote:

 > On Sep 11, 2012, at 7:09 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
 >
 >> I can't speak to anything related to the "legality" of any EULA,
 >> but I do believe in one ethical priority:  the intent of the creator
 >> of a work.
 >>
 >> The act of creating anything is a special human endeavor, and as
 >> such in my book it's sacred.  Once a work is created, the creator
 >> must, IMNSHO, retain the right to decide the terms governing its
 >> use.  Anything less seems uncivilized, or at least certainly
 >> unmotivating.
 >>
 >> If I make a software product and decide to license it under terms
 >> that require the user to give me complete control over their bank
 >> accounts, that's fully within my rights to ask for.
 >
 > I don't normally disagree with things you say, but I have to this
 > time. There is plenty of case law showing that certain contractual
 > limits have no legal weight.

I think we're still in agreement.

Consider this my "severability clause": if any part of my post violates
any municipal, state, or federal law, all other parts of the post remain
in as much force as they might merit. ;)

The main point I was aiming for was that even if we find the terms of a
EULA distasteful, we're free to choose alternative products that offer
terms more to our liking.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World