storing data on iOS devices

Chris Sheffield cmsheffield at me.com
Mon Sep 10 11:13:10 EDT 2012

This has come up before on the list, but I haven't been able to find a reliable location where I can store persistent data without it being backed up to iTunes. We've got an app that downloads and stores quite a bit of media (audio, pictures, etc.) that needs to persist on the device but doesn't need to be backed up. Right now I have it saved in Library/Caches/[appID] folder. My previous understanding was that this would be a safe place to store it, but just the other day on a test device that was low on disk space we noticed there was a "Cleaning..." message under the app icon and all the data was wiped out.

So what does everyone else do? Where can I store the data so this won't happen, but *not* have it backed up to iTunes/iCloud?

Thanks,
Chris

--
Chris Sheffield