[OT] the evils (?) of secure boot.

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 14:59:05 EST 2012

On 11/26/2012 09:16 PM, Mike Kerner wrote:
> Rootkits and bootloaders are a threat that cannot be addressed reasonably
> any other way.  If you want to talk about lousy security on the inside,
> Windows cannot even hold a candle to the laughably-bad ICS's.  Back in The
> Day I felt like I was the one who was wrong because I kept pointing out out
> horribly bad the security on PLC's and their related controllers are.

Is it just me, or . . . ?

I would have thought one of the EASIEST ways to avoid one's machine from
getting
mucked up by a rootkit or a bootloader was to make sure one's computer
was NOT
connected to some sort of internet connexion prior and during OS install.

I must say one of the things I dislike is how OS installs give the
impression that they
won't work without an internet connexion - which is, of course, a load
of old tosh.

Richmond.