it and explicitVar?

Ben Rubinstein benr_mc at cogapp.com
Fri Nov 23 13:28:18 EST 2012

On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 1:42 PM, Malte Brill <revolution at derbrill.de> wrote:
 > Even though explicit vars (or strict compile mode in the prefs) is
 > considdered to be a major headache by some, I have never looked back since
 > I started to make this a prerequisite in all the code my company writes for
 > others.
+1!

> It adds little extra work, but helps tremendously when debugging or
> refactoring.
+1!

On 22/11/2012 22:21, Peter Haworth wrote:
> My lousy typing skills have led to several hours of debugging.  Once I
> discovered explicitVars, most of the typos are dealt with.
+1!

> And, while recompiling scripts with explicitVars on, I found several other
> typos that were sitting there waiting to cause grief at some time in the
> future.
+1!

On 23/11/2012 15:14, Richard Gaskin wrote:
> With explicitVars set to true, all scripts in memory during the session
> must have been written with that relatively-recent addition to the language
> in mind

Well, "relatively-recent" is... relative, I suppose.  I'm not sure when
explicitVars was added to to Metatalk - Google shows several mentions of it by
Scott Raney in 1997, including a note that it's "SuperCard compatible" - and
certainly it was in SuperTalk no later than 1994, but I've no idea whether it
was new or whether is was in v1.0 in 1989.  So it's true that it might be less
than 20 years old!

Ben