URL function fails on http requests, results in "invalid host address", other internet functions work correctly

Gabriel Johnson gwjapp at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 15:14:48 EST 2012

Hi All,

We are having a baffling problem with the standard URL function not working
on one of our machines.

Message Box Example:

   put url "http://www.google.com"

returns empty.

If altered slightly to give more feedback, then:

   put url "http://www.google.com" into htmlText; put the result

returns "invalid host address" in the message box.

Here are some things we've tried and the results:

1. Other internet applications run fine on the computer. Firefox/Safari
load www.google.com just fine
2. Older versions of LiveCode, which had previously worked, now fail with
the url command
3. Creating a dummy user account and running LiveCode fresh causes the url
command to work
4. Other LiveCode internet commands/functions work
fine: hostnametoaddress(), liburl functions
5. Zapping the PRAM caused the url function to work one of the times we
tried it, for a limited period of time.

So, it seems to be something very specific to the url function (at least
with http requests) on this one user account that is failing. It appears it
might be something corrupt in the user library. A first thought we had was
to remove all LiveCode items from the user Library and start from scratch
on the original user account. However, I'm not sure if we removed
everything. We removed the "RunRev" folder from Application Support, and
the following 4 preference files: com.runrev.livecode.plist,
com.runrev.revinstaller.plist, com.runrev.revolution.plist,
com.runrev.revolution.plist.saved.
Are there some other items from the user Library/etc we need to remove to
completely uninstall LiveCode from the original user account?

Does anyone know any more about the http url function in general? Is there
some other process/function in sits on top of that I could look at to
figure out why this specific user account causes it to fail?

Thanks

Gabe