http://www.haiku-os.org/

Dr. Hawkins dochawk at gmail.com
Sun Nov 18 12:37:05 EST 2012

On Sat, Nov 17, 2012 at 8:43 PM, kee nethery <kee at kagi.com> wrote:
> My understanding was that BeOS had few drivers and few protocol stacks whereas
> the NeXT Mach version of Unix had everything. BeOS was very shiny but not full
>featured. Unix rugged robust reliable but not sexy. From what I recall, it was not price, it
>was time to market with an OS that could match the functionality of Mac OS 9 plus be
>so much more. And, think of all the apps already available for Unix as compared to
>BeOS.

After some fumbling around, it seems that apple initially offered
about $50M, eventually going to $125M (?!?!?!) for Be,  Gassée
holding out for $200M, stockholder Jobs called CEO Amelio to warn not
to buy it, leading to discussions about licensing OpenStep, which
turned ultimately into the purchase of NeXT--without even a board seat
for Jobs.

$429M in cash, stock, and debt assumption.  Amelio later said that
he'd overpaid, but that amount should probably be split as something
like half for NeXT, and half for repurchasing Jobs . . .

> BeOS was very cool, very nice, but it was missing a ton of functionality in day to day getting stuff done. Plus Gasse is a good salesman but not the equal to Jobs. No one talks about a Gasse Reality Distortion Field.
>
> Kee
>
> On Nov 17, 2012, at 5:27 PM, "Dr. Hawkins" <dochawk at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 1:33 PM, Richard Gaskin
>> <ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote:
>>> Haiku had potential back when it was still BeOS and was being considered for
>>> Apple's replacement for what we now call Mac Classic.
>>
>> It would have been used, too, except that Be thought they had Apple
>> over a barrel.
>>
>> OK, they kind of did, but for that barrel price, Apple discovered that
>> they could buy Jobs, err, NeXT . . . which was for all intents and
>> purposes, the end of Be.
>>

>> --
>> Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
>> (702) 508-8462