using send to "multi-task" ? [was: Non-blocking URL commands]

Dr. Hawkins dochawk at gmail.com
Sun Nov 18 12:17:36 EST 2012

On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 2:13 PM, Monte Goulding
<monte at sweattechnologies.com> wrote:
> It means other scripts can run but the script executing the post is blocked waiting for it
>to return. It's how your users manage to execute other things while the http request is
>going on. Disable anything you don't want them to do while waiting.

Wait a minute--does this mean we have a substitute for multi-threading
or multi-tasking?

I have an issue when using a remote database.  When leaving a field,
the db is updated, but the lag can be a second or two, preventing the
user from moving to the next field.

So if instead of "doing it," I

     send doit to field somefield in 1 ms

the user could be happily typing away?

However, if I'm reading things right, "send" won't travel up the
message path or be passed, while "dispatch" will--but dispatch doesn't
have an "in time" available.

perhaps

   send startit to somefield in 1 ms

and a handler of

    on startit
         dispatch finishit to the target
    end startit

(closeField is often partly handled and then passed from field or
group to card and even stack)

--
Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462