How to use stacks from LC 5.5.3 with LC 4.5.3?

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sat Nov 17 06:03:02 EST 2012

On 11/17/2012 12:24 AM, J. Landman Gay wrote:
> On 11/16/12 3:53 PM, Richmond wrote:
>
>> Horst's posting seems to be one in a fairly long line of 'moans' (and
>> some of them
>> are more howls than moans) that have been appearing with increasing
>> frequency since 4.5.
>
> Maybe because those who are using 5.5.3 successfully don't post; you
> only hear about problems. I haven't had any trouble with it. There
> are, however, a good many new features and a few changes to old
> behaviors that may be interpreted as "bugs" if the developer isn't
> aware of them.
>
> I'm not saying it's perfect, because I'm sure there certainly must be
> bugs in there. But I haven't found any showstoppers for what I'm doing
> and I don't think one person's experience should color everyone else's
> plans. I've been using 5.5.3 since it became available and I'm just
> finishing up a project that couldn't have been done in an earlier
> version.
>
> Your DevaWriter would probably be more flexible and easier to script
> with the new unicode features.

You are probably right; but at about half a million lines of code across
something like 500-odd objects I really cannot see myself
recoding the whole thing. At present everything works very well indeed.

I am glad to hear that people are working well with the latest version.

However, I will stand by my feeling that things have either "spread too
thin" or "diversified too fast" and that some of
the effects of that may be showing.