Simultaneous access to same SQLite database from separate stacks?

Peter Haworth pete at lcsql.com
Fri Nov 9 11:35:41 EST 2012

On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 6:29 AM, Dr. Hawkins <dochawk at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thursday, November 8, 2012, Peter Haworth wrote:
>
> > Yes, but keep in mind that the whole database is locked for the duration
> of
> > the transaction so if you have a long operation going on by one user,
> your
> > other users will have to wait a while.
>

> That should be livable, I think.
>
> the foreground is fairly small transactions (either a single row with
> something like 50 columns, or a couple of dozen rows with half a dozen
> columns).  the background would be a periodic sync with the remote cloud
> database, so also fairly small.

Just be 150% sure that your error handling is bullet proof or you could end
up in a deadlock situation!

> thank you.
>
> but it still sounds like I would be better off using the built-in
> PostgreSQL on Mac, and preferring that MySQL or PostgreSQL be installed on
> windows & Linux.

I believe that both postgresql and mySQL have syncing functions built in
although I've never tried them.

> > This includes readers will some
> > sort of write operation is going on.  There is a newer type of locking
> > called WAL (write ahead locking) that does permit reads while write
> > operations are in progress but the version of the sqlite library in LC is
> > too old to have that available.
> >

> Hmm, I don't suppose that I could compile and include with/in my
> standalones in any practical manner?

I don't know enough about compiling external libraries into a standalone
but I'm pretty sure it would take a whole bunch of Livecode externals to
make that work.