Banging on about Mac Classic

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 15:48:54 EST 2012

On 11/08/2012 10:01 PM, Jeff Reynolds wrote:
> Richmond,
>
> I believe 2.6.1 was the last version with mac classic build abilities. in 2.8 it was "build for mac os classic will be available soon" but never came i think. that was the final version for a long time that i had to keep building in when i had to support classic (then move stack to more recent version for osx build.)

As far as I know 3.5 could produce Classic builds. That, however is not
what I was after;

what I was looking for was a Mac Classic version of RunRev, and, since I
posted my message,
somebody sent me, off-list, an unlicensed version of 2.6.1, and I had a
'mad' idea, and jacked up my SCSI
ZIP drive to a SCSI card in a PCI slot in a Linux box I have, and
retrieved a Classic build of RunRev 2.0.

The main "problem" about transferring HC stuff to RR/LC is the bother of
having to run 2 machines next door to each other; one
being a PPC Mac running OS 8-9, and the other pretty well anything else
running a non-Classic version of RR/LC. By using a Classic
version of RR/LC one can get round this problem, and transfer stacks
fairly directly.

2.0 was a build that allowed unlicensed users to build stacks and
standalones as long as each object contained no more
than 10 lines of code (I designed a prototype agent-led GUI for software
development with an unlicensed version:

as a Master's degree thesis at a University), and as such works
reasonably well for transferring HC stacks.

To a lesser extent one can do this with Metacard 2.5 which is readily
available:

of course the difference between the RunRev UI and the Metacard UI is
why RR/LC is still alive and kicking, while Metacard
is, now, a UI one can strap onto the RR/LC engine if one likes the
experience of flying by the seat of one's pants.