Upgrade to Lion

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Tue May 29 23:37:20 EDT 2012

Tim wrote:

One tip - turn off Spotlight.  I've found that the mdimport daemon spikes -
even on my Mac Pros - every time I save a file in LC or one of the NLE apps.

I mentioned this on another thread about Steven B's slow Lion (which he's
since fixed), but was informed by a 'wise' user that Spotlight could not be
the culprit. As usual, individuals milage seems to vary, so I just wish to
agree with you that for some people this may be a problem.

Paul L,

In my culture there are those who are 'old', and those who are 'old and
wise' and you seem to deserve the latter accolade as you seem to have not
stopped learning. Bravo!

Jacque,

Even in my culture we'd never refer to a woman's age, Mark's suggestion
that I use 'wise' is very apt in this case because the wisdom you've shared
over the years on the List has been VERY MUCH appreciated by me. You
certainly have my respect, no matter how young you are; doubled because you
are stick shifter!

For all those who've shared their different experience of Lion, thanks for
sharing, I find it so interesting how different such experiences are.

As for TimeMachine I absolutely love it, not because it's saved my ass
(because I've long since developed a back-up, triplicate strategy) but
because my wife has absolutely no backup strategy whatsoever. So when she
looses a file, which happens maybe once or twice a year, she expects me to
find it. Prior to TimeMachine + TimeCapsule it was a nightmare, now it's a
piece of cake, even over the phone.

I will admit that I haven't upgraded my own Mac to Lion for a couple of
reasons including some relating to negative comments here, but mainly due
to a reason that maybe invalid. I'm sure I've read that it's only possible
to do a clean upgrade to Lion on an 'internal HD', not external. But I'm
getting the impression that user here have successfully done installs onto
external HDs? I have my own ingrain habits regarding OS upgrades that
involve running it off an external for a month or so before committing. I
have the new HD ready with a virgin copy of SnoLeo, but I just haven't had
the time to crack open the MBP, swap the HDs, do the upgrade, then swap the
HDs back. Has anyone done a clean install of Lion straight to an external
HD loaded with SnoLeo?

My personal opinion on why Lion can be sluggish and resource hungry is that
so much of it now has SQLite as it's backend which I know is slower than
other DBs out there. I also THINK (no actual hard evidence) that in some
cases people are requiring industrial strength performance out of it and it
just isn't set up for that. Other DBs have all sorts of settings for
memory, cache, VM etc, to maximise performance depending on the particular
type/size of data you are dealing with. I'm not sure if any such tweaks
occur to the OS X SQLite DBs.

My comments are not intended to be a criticism of anyone, or anyones work
habits. I have nothing but respect for all those on this List and
appreciate their willingness to share their many and varied experiences.

Thank you.