Upgrade to Lion

Igor de Oliveira Couto igor at superstudent.net
Tue May 29 00:29:22 EDT 2012

Stephen, my apologies to you and to anyone else I might have offended - it wasn't intentional:

On 29/05/2012, at 11:35 AM, stephen barncard wrote:

[...]

> "Fossilized into our old working habits" ?  Excuse me, I take exception to
> that. I'm a 'fossil-luddite' because I argue that I'm suddenly forced to
> work an entirely different way?

[...]

'Fossilisation' is a term often used in foreign language learning - ie., in teaching English for speakers of other languages (TESOL). Sometimes, when you are learning a foreign language, you make mistakes - ie., because you are trying to use the 'new' language' the same way that you were used to using your 'old' one. If no one corrects you, then using the language the incorrectly becomes habitual. Have you ever met someone whose English is not their first language, and they have been speaking English for many years, yet they constantly - and consistently - make little grammatical mistakes? That's because these error are now are 'fossilised'. Language teachers have to learn this concept, because if you come across a student that has 'fossilised' habits, they are much harder to break, and you have to use special teaching techniques...

With my own experience, I identified that I was quite 'fossilised' in the way that I was using the computer, and that is why it was harder for me to adopt the 'new' way, rather than, say, a newbie user.

Once again, my apologies for any offence caused.

On 29/05/2012, at 11:58 AM, J. Landman Gay wrote:

[...]

> The Star Wars reversion is too difficult to work with. If your document is more than one page long it is impossible to figure out which version you need to revert to. There is no way to compare them and if the change is somewhere on page 327 then you have to page through 327 pages in every one of them to see what "version" you're looking for. And that's if you even remember what page it's on.

[...]

I agree, versions is not perfect yet - it's still early days. Those of us that have to work in projects handling numerous files handled by multiple users can attest that this is *no* replacement for a good versioning control system, like Git. Nevertheless, it is a step - IMHO - in the right direction.

PS: Jacqueline, had my first sip of home-made milk liqueur on the weekend. Had to go and make 2 more batches straight away... Will be testing out the 'orange' and the 'chocolate' versions... I'm afraid you've unleashed a monster! :-0

Kind regards to all,

--
Igor Couto
Sydney, Australia