Upgrade to Lion

stephen barncard stephenREVOLUTION2 at barncard.com
Mon May 28 21:35:47 EDT 2012

Igor, reasonable points about how you you've come to accept the "new
features". Perhaps you are a better man than I.

"Fossilized into our old working habits" ?  Excuse me, I take exception to
that. I'm a 'fossil-luddite' because I argue that I'm suddenly forced to
work an entirely different way?

I've been using Lion for several months now.

I'm not convinced that 'lowest common denominator" is the way to treat all
users, especially professionals and long time users. At the very least,
these behaviors should be optional. I am dreading what other changes are
waiting for us in Mountain Lion* --  more iPad-ization of an OS and UI that
wasn't' broken?  The attempt to disappear visible scroll bars is more
evidence of this. Why? To "train" us into only using gestures and pad-like
pointing devices?  I can't find any reason at all for changing my custom
drive icons to white, except that it appears to be some designers' wet
dream.

And if I need my rear end saved, I'd rather use Time Machine. But I don't
even use it that much. I'd rather be responsible for my own versions, thank
you.

Now, at every major Cat Change, I have dreaded all the patches and command
line bs I have to do just to get back the environment I had before.

Snow Leopard was stable and working well, even as 32 bit. The only reason I
'upgraded' was so I could synchronize my calendars, notes and address book
with my iPhone, and build for mobile. *The Cloud* was part of a ploy to get
people to upgrade. They could have done these changes to the underpinning
without having to re-invent the UI.

*This just reeks of a culture that has to change things just to justify
their jobs*, NOT to serve the customer/users.

Lion and Mountain Lion: "Love it or leave it.." - Developers and media
workers don't have that luxury.

Just remember that Apple isn't always wise - the first version of OSX
didn't have a finder, the designers wanted it to be like BEOS.

* I still haven't been able to even install a fresh beta ( on a test volume
- I'm no fool ) of Mountain Lion yet after three tries. Crash - panic each
time.

On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 5:14 PM, Igor de Oliveira Couto <
igor at superstudent.net> wrote:

> Understanding Old "Save + Save As..." x New "Autosave Versions + Duplicate"

> When I first upgraded to Lion, I, too, became irritated and grumpy about
> the lack of a "Save As..." command. After many years of using a certain
> workflow, it becomes mechanical, intuitive, second-nature, part of you. I
> could not seem to understand WHY oh WHY did Apple have to change one of the
> basic methodologies for using documents in computers, which had over the
> years become entrenched in our computer culture, and in our minds.
>
> As much as I tried, I could not get my head around this new way of
> working. It seemed more cumbersome and clumsy than the old one. Until one
> day, quite by accident, I found an article on the web explaining the
> rationale of it all. I wanted to post a link to the article here, but try
> as I might, I can't find it anymore - I seem to be running low on Google
> juice today...

Stephen Barncard
San Francisco Ca. USA