Upgrade to Lion

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Mon May 28 21:58:37 EDT 2012

On 5/28/12 7:14 PM, Igor de Oliveira Couto wrote:

> Apple's solution to the "Save As..." problem was simple: get rid of
> the "Save As..." command, and replace it with a "Duplicate" command.
> The "Duplicate" command forces the user to make a copy of the
> document FIRST. If you open a document and start hacking at it before
> duplicating it, you always know that you are hacking at your
> ORIGINAL. As hard a concept as this might be for us, 'oldies', who
> were used to doing things the other way around, trust me when I say,
> that new users find this *a lot* more intuitive.

Yes, I understand the new user thing, but I am not a new user. Apple
should give us a choice.

What usually happens to me is that I start to make a few changes, get
carried away, and *then* decide that I've strayed far enough that I want
to save off a copy rather than to commit the original. At that point
it's too late to duplicate; I didn't know I was going to want a copy
when I started.

The Star Wars reversion is too difficult to work with. If your document
is more than one page long it is impossible to figure out which version
you need to revert to. There is no way to compare them and if the change
is somewhere on page 327 then you have to page through 327 pages in
every one of them to see what "version" you're looking for. And that's
if you even remember what page it's on. Was the copy I wanted from five
minutes ago? An hour? When did I start this anyway? How long ago was
that change I made in chapter seven?

I'm in grumpy mode, sorry. I understand that Apple wants to protect us
from ourselves, but I can manage these things myself and I don't
appreciate Apple's parenting decisions.

Those in the U.S. may know about a comic strip here called Crankshaft.
That's me.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com