Upgrade to Lion

stephen barncard stephenREVOLUTION2 at barncard.com
Mon May 28 17:21:39 EDT 2012

I don't think Lion likes to be installed on partitions. It wants to own the
disk. As part of the the installation process, it makes it's own, secret
partition that acts as an 'emergency disk' when you boot, hear the chime,
and hold down command and R.  Pretty useful, unless one's partitions
unravel. This emergency partition has Disk Utility, Reset admin password,
Startup Disk and a Safari based help utility that's live on the net. One
can even install a fresh version of Lion on a new or old disk in that mode.

On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 1:52 PM, Peter Haworth <pete at lcsql.com> wrote:

> Hi Stephen,
> I concur that Apple are treating their user base as dumbasses these days.
>  It's probably fair to say that there are a substantial number of them that
> fit that moniker!  The problem is that Apple doesn't always provide a way
> to tell them "I'm not a dumbass and I would like to not be treated as
> such".
>
> During the process of installing Lion, I too found a disk problem.  In my
> case, it wasn't a failure per se but when I tried to create a second
> partition to hold Lion, DiskUtitliy flagged an error.  Don't recall exactly
> what it was but I had to boot from my Snow Leopard disk and run DiskUtitlty
> from there to fix it.
>
> The weird thing was that even after fixing it, I still couldn't create the
> second partition.  There was plenty of room on the disk for the new
> partition but when I kicked off the process of creating it, I got an error
> that there wasn't enough disk space to re-partition the drive.
>
> Pete
> lcSQL Software <http://www.lcsql.com>
>

> On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 1:36 PM, stephen barncard <
> stephenREVOLUTION2 at barncard.com> wrote:
>
> > I've found that 'export' is the key to getting around not having a 'save
> > as...'. Not a natural workflow to me, and I have to remember which apps
> are
> > and are not part of the 'new paradigm'.Stephen Barncard

San Francisco Ca. USA