Standalone problem

Peter Haworth pete at lcsql.com
Fri May 25 20:20:01 EDT 2012

Jacque,
Bit late on this but I've just successfully built an external( whooppee!)
and am now left with the task of installing it in the correct place.

I understand your explanation in this thread.  I guess my question relates
to the newsletter article that explains how to make an external and use it.
 In there, it tells you to make a folder structure like

~/My Livecode/Externals/Runtime/Mac OS X/x86-32/Externals. (my external is
only needed for OS X).

Then put the external and a text file Externals.txt into the Externals
folder at the end of that chain of folders and also into ~/My
Livecode/Externals.  The Externals.txt file has an entry for each external
in the form:

<external label>,<external filename>

The article claims that the folder structre from /Runtime down isused for
building standalones and the Externals folder higher up the chain is used
by the IDE.  I kinda like that idea actually since it means I can have
development and release versions of an external available without too much
trouble, although I really don;t know what purpose the Externals.txt file
serves and the newsletter article doesn't explain it

My question is, if I do what is suggested in the newsletter article, will
the IDE and whatever standalone I build find the external OK or do I still
have to take the steps you outlined in your post?

I know I can simply try it,  but the process of trying to get an external
in place has been  full of twists and turns, out of date information, dead
ends, and confusion ..... and then there's the bad news.

If it wasn't for some kind help I received off list from another list
member, I probably would have quit days ago so I'm hoping I can get
everything straight before stumbling down another blind alley :-)

Thanks,

Pete
lcSQL Software <http://www.lcsql.com>