paying for bug fixes (was Re: [ANN] Installer Maker Plugin 1.7.8)

Monte Goulding monte at sweattechnologies.com
Fri May 4 19:01:54 EDT 2012

> In this case, we offer a 60 day protection amnesty period - if the user buys a version and we ship a major upgrade within the 60 days after they purchase, they get the new version for free.

Probably worth pointing out here that Mark's scheme offers this for 3 months. So theres some trade off between free upgrades and free updates.

It is definitely worth pointing out that the upgrade/update scheme you apply to a an addon for a relatively unknown developer tool where your sales are very unlikely to cover development time is probably not the scheme you would apply to a more general consumer product. Maybe one day the livecode user base will be big enough to support thriving addon businesses but not yet.

Most addons for livecode have arisen from either in-house tools that people have cleaned up a bit and documented and released for a fee to cover a little support or from a wish to give something back to this community that's so helpful but needing at least some return on their time.

My own case of mergExt came from needing a barcode reader but then I enjoyed enabling livecode developers to do stuff they can't otherwise do so I setup the poll so the community can tell me what they need.

Cheers

Monte