paying for bug fixes (was Re: [ANN] Installer Maker Plugin 1.7.8)

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Fri May 4 17:48:05 EDT 2012

On May 4, 2012, at 2:54 PM, Tim Jones wrote:

>> I do have a question.  If Product X is on version 8.8 and a customer is using 1.0.5 (released 11 years ago, just before 2.0.0) and finds a bug, do you fix the bug?  That is, do you create version 1.0.6?
>
> That falls WAAAAAY outside of expected support.  However, we do cover that in our playbook - in that case, we offer the user a price-adjusted upgrade path - less than full price, but more than the 50% normal upgrade - to the current version or offer to fix the problem in 1.0.5 under contract for a specified NRE rate.

I like the idea of a playbook, whether figurative or literal.  When we here have Planning for Excellence meetings such a thing can outline scenarios that can help in quality planning.

So far, I think I'm hearing that bug-fix support should go beyond 3 months (Mark) but need not go to 11 years (Tim).

Dar