Progress Bar

Pete pete at mollysrevenge.com
Thu Mar 29 18:53:02 EDT 2012

Thanks guys.  I put a wait 0 in there and that made the progress bar update
visible. Seems kinda weird that there's a difference between not waiting
and waiting zero, but that's OK!

This does lead to an interesting conundrum though.  It takes about 2.5
times longer to process my test data with a progress bar than without one.
 Not talking huge amounts of time - about 1 second vs 2.5 seconds - but
those times could get a lot longer in production, maybe by a factor of 10
or more, and this particular function of the application is going to be
judged at least partly on performance.

I calculate the update interval by dividing the number of records to be
processed by 100 with a minimum of 10 to deal with small data sets.  I
guess maybe I can play around with the divisor of 100 to see what yields
the best blend of performance while still showing progress.

I might also try using an animated cursor to see how it compares
performance wise.

Isn't there some rule of quantum physics about changing the outocme of an
experiment by observing it?

Pete

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 3:13 PM, Roger Eller <roger.e.eller at sealedair.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 6:03 PM, Pete wrote:
>
> > I'm using a progress bar for the first time.  Checked it all out stepping
> > through things in debug and all worked fine.  However, when I run it
> > normally (meaning no debug), the blue progress bar never moves beyond
> it's
> > startpos.
> >
> > I'm pretty sure this is because I'm updating it in a tight loop and LC
> > doesn't get a chance to update the screen but I'm uncertain how to solve
> > that without adding to the overall execution time of the loop.
> >
> > Enlightenment much appreciated.
> >
> > --
> > Pete
> > Molly's Revenge <http://www.mollysrevenge.com>
> >

> Add a super-tiny wait to the end of the loop (25 to 100 millisecs,
> depending on what you're doing).
>
> ~Roger

Pete