Regular expression escape characters

Bill Vlahos bvlahos at mac.com
Wed Mar 28 23:19:52 EDT 2012

I am building a regular expression to find a set of question marks and exclamation points. For example ??? or !!!.

These are special characters so they mean something to a regular expression.

How do I find them in the text?

If I want to find a word such as "Bill" I can matchText with (\bBill\b) but I can't do (\b!!!\b) and if I do (\b???\b) I get an error.

I've looked on the web for escaping characters and they suggest using a slash before. However, when I try (\b\!\!\!\b) it doesn't work.

I've also found references to \Q…\E to have everything between a literal but (\b\Q!!!\E\b) doesn't work either.

Any ideas?

Bill Vlahos