CSV Files

Pete pete at mollysrevenge.com
Wed Mar 28 13:52:13 EDT 2012

The csv files are created by an export from a database, not from a
spreadsheet so I don't think I need to worry about the Excel/Google issue
(thankfully).

Non-numeric strings will be in quotes, and the data between the quotes can
contain commas and returns, escaped quotes, just about any visible ASCII
character in fact.

Pete

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 10:09 AM, Keith Clarke <
keith.clarke at clarkeandclarke.co.uk> wrote:

> ...that seems to be the same for Google sheets, too - though I've not dug
> into whether there is an obvious end-of-line character.
> Best,
> Keith..
>
> On 28 Mar 2012, at 18:03, Bob Sneidar wrote:
>
> > I have noticed that csv exports from Excel will stop short of including
> all the columns in any given row if there is no more data, so you will get
> rows with varying numbers of columns if you have any empty "cells" at the
> end of a row. That has tripped me up a few times with other software that
> expects data to be there, even if it's an empty value.
> >
> > Bob
> >

> > On Mar 28, 2012, at 9:55 AM, Pete wrote:
> >
> >> OK, so I know CSV files are not everyone's favorite subject but
> sometimes
> >> you have no control over how data reaches you!
> >>
> >> I have a handler in place that deals with the vagaries of CSV files,
> like
> >> returns, commas, and quotes in the data (did I miss any?) but it relies
> on
> >> a repeat loop looking at every character in the csv file.  It seems to
> work
> >> just fine but I'm wondering if the collective knowledge of this list gas
> >> already come up with a more efficient solution.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> --
> >> Pete
> >> Molly's Revenge <http://www.mollysrevenge.com>