ANN and OT: Calling All SETI Enthusiasts

Mick Collins mickclns at mac.com
Tue Mar 27 23:26:45 EDT 2012

Sounds like a failure of imagination, Bob.  You said, "Orville was probably talking about people who were saying at the time that it was impossible for humans to take flight."  Maybe he wasn't.  But let's say he was.  Just because he WASN'T applying it beyond his immediate situation doesn't mean NO ONE CAN apply it to their more up-to-date situation or (gasp) even apply it beyond his/her/our own situation. I am reminded of how many times (7.3) physicists or other scientists on the cutting edge have said that we are only this ( ) far from a full grasp of the universe(s) (we don't need to worry about those little flaws in our theory, a little housekeeping will take care of them) only to have a significant change happen a few years later, brought about by those pesky flaws.  I don't think we have a very good idea of whether our spectrum of knowledge occupies 99% of full knowledge (whatever that means) or 1% or a 10,000th of a percent or asymptotically 0.  I personally lean toward the latter end (well, bully for me).  Here are another couple of quotations, both by Arthur C. Clarke that whittle my tilly.
   -  Mick (my name, not a quotation)

I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here.

Message: 9