Apple Store and addons

ron barber runrevron at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 17:31:06 EDT 2012

Greetings,
I have an app in the MacApp store (not the app store) to which the
user can download addon modules. I am looking for a way to link the
addon to the app so that the addons cannot be 'shared' with users who
did not purchase it.

The application is a standalone and the addons are stacks with the
content in a uprop. The addons are installed to the application
support folder by a standalone spitting out a uprop. Since neither the
application nor the addon installer can be modified due to Apple's
bundle, I am left with writing a pref file or stack to the support
folder. This can be checked on startup to insure the addon was
installed and not just copied but nothing prevents this pref file from
being copied as well.

Any suggestions or is this just the way it is?

Thanks
Ron