ANN and OT: Calling All SETI Enthusiasts

Dave Cragg dave.cragg at lacscentre.co.uk
Tue Mar 27 16:10:31 EDT 2012

The weather is so nice here, it's hard to resist a good off-topic blether (discussion).

On 26 Mar 2012, at 18:47, Roger Guay wrote:

> given the vastness of our universe and the number of stars contained in it, many argue that it is logical to assume a multitude of intelligent species populating our entire galaxy.

There is another argument that says we can't make any reasonable assumptions about the likelihood of life elsewhere until we know more about the "normality" of the origins of life here. At the moment, the origin of life on earth is unknown. So we can't say how improbable the event was. If it were discovered that it was an extremely unlikely event, then we might revise downwards our estimation of the chances of finding life elsewhere. And the opposite also applies. Until that time, aren't we just guessing?

No harm in looking though.

Cheers
Dave