Collisions

Jim Hurley jhurley0305 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 26 18:15:37 EDT 2012

Richard,

That 9 ball stack is a bit wonkish.

I have extracted from that stack the basic elements that illustrate the collision process. It can be found in:

   go url "http://jamesphurley.com/jhurleyFolder/TwoBallCollisions.livecode"

It illustrates the physics of the ideal collision. The momenta along the line of the collision (the line joining  the two centers of the balls) is exchanged in the collision, while the momenta (velocities) perpendicular to this line are unaffected in the collission. That is the very definition of an ideal elastic impact.

But you needn't  worry about all that, just  use the "newVel" function to generate the after collision velocities given the before collision velocities.

Jim