[OT] A couple of links about Gnome and usability

Warren Samples warren at warrensweb.us
Mon Mar 26 01:44:27 EDT 2012

On 03/25/2012 12:38 PM, Richmond wrote:
> I have spent some time playing around with PearOS,
> and can honestly say "it sucks";

I installed the latest version, Comice OS 4, and gave it only a quick
look. While I don't mind if someone likes it, I wouldn't recommend it to
anyone, especially with hopes that it might an easy transition from OS
X. Choosing Comice Classic at login, I did have a working dock with
icons which included "Finder" so finding my home folder was a cinch. The
Dock icon set mysteriously changed at some point and I could not find an
obvious way to do that deliberately. Beyond that, the control center
made me feel mostly like there was little I could do to take control.
The software center seems very easy to "get", though, and that's a big
plus. The UI has with good snap, but in the end, a lot of simple basic
stuff is not intuitive for the new user. I think even less than most of
the more traditional flavored DEs.

I also discovered that my unmodified install is useless with Livecode,
which is Pete's interest. There are all kinds of problems with
characters in scripts. you can't use "/". Quotes are treated literally
as in:

put "something" into tAnything; put tAnything

returns "something" with the quotes. If someone can tell me what's the
likely cause, I'd be interested to know :D Even more interested in
knowing how to remedy it.

It was only a cursory look. I've never liked the stock OS X Dock and
always ran it without 3D, reflections and animations and set it out of
the way in the lower left corner, so this was definitely not a positive
feature for me, but that's a matter of taste. That said, this distro has
some real drawbacks in my opinion. Pete, this is not the best choice.
Sorry to have brought it up.

Warren