[OT] A couple of links about Gnome and usability

Alejandro Tejada capellan2000 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 15:49:27 EDT 2012

Hi All,

How sad is this recent turn in Linux development! :-((

Many, many years ago, when a group of friends (software developers)
show me the Linux OS, I told them that, in a future, most computer
users would be using it. Of course, they laugh a lot of my comment
and proceed to show me why this could not happen.

They ask me how it was possible that me (being a Macintosh User,
at least in that specific moment of time) I was "wishing" that most of
the computer users will use Linux in the future. (no, not my wish but
a prediction based in the information that they told me)

According to them, my wish should have been that every computer
user had a Macintosh in their desk... WRONG.
Most of the time, I try to be impartial with my opinions and appreciations
and possibly because of this when I was a Mac user, I DO NOT joined
the club of Mac fans, who (at least in the country where I live) always
display
a perverse joy in bashing Microsoft OS (Dos and Windows) and every other
Operating Systems, including OS/2, AmigaOS, Unix and (of course) Linux.
I strongly suspect that the company of that time (or their salesman)
cultivated and promoted this behavior.

What did I saw in Linux, that according to my opinion would make it
a success? That all Developers were colaborating toward a common goal,
instead of competing against each other... As simple like that.

At least from my humble point of view, this is the way how everything
that is worth and perdurable in this life come to existence, grows and
stays with us.

Eventually, these clashes about user interfaces will solve themselves, but
there is an important part of the Open Source movement that was
not created along with it: Open Schools that teach 1) how to use
these software (open source projects documentation is sorely missing or
arcane in best cases)
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/why-open-source-documentation-lags/6484
and 2) how to develop software in the programming languages most frecuently
used for open source projects. The Open source movement depends too much
from the availability and generosity of Business, Goverments and
Professional developers
to fund their projects.

Al