LiveCode Player for 5.5

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Mar 23 11:32:15 EDT 2012

Mark Schonewille wrote:

 > On 23 mrt 2012, at 11:29, Ray Horsley wrote:
 >> After giving this idea some further thought I wouldn't bet on
 >> it either.  How would something like "import snapshot" be
 >> exported to HTML5?
 >
 > RealStudio did it. RunRev can do it too.

Did they?

I think it depends on what the definition of "it" is.

Like LiveCode, RealBASIC can be used to make a nearly infinite variety
of apps.   From reading their forums, browsing their examples, and
reviewing their docs, it seems that their web solution only supports a
relatively narrow subset of all possible types of applications that can
be made with the tool.

For what it does, RealBASIC's Web Edition seems like a very useful
thing.  But it assumes that you want to make a fairly traditional
client-server database app comprised of list and form views.

Thus far I've seen no RB Web Edition examples of things like custom
drawing apps, interactive multimedia CBTs, or even the tutorial they
provide for building a word processor.

If I've missed examples of these sorts of apps being automatically
converted to web-ready HTML/JS with their Web Edition, please provide
the URLs; I wouldn't at all mind being wrong on that, as it would
represent a very powerful technology shift that would completely
revolutionize web development, well worth knowing about.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World